Over 50 years of camping fun Camp Cheerio began as a dream to create a summer resident camp where children could participate in camp activities and build lasting friendships in a positive environment. The original 50 acres were purchased in 1956 by the YMCA of High Point, NC for $100 an acre. Over the next few years the infrastructure for camp was constructed with both volunteer labor and financial assistance from many local civic clubs including the Y’s Men, Rotary, and Kiwanis Clubs of High Point. Without the vision and dedication of those individuals, Camp Cheerio as we know it would not exist today.
Cheerio officially opened for business in 1960, serving a total of 252 campers. Since then we have grown to now host nearly 3,000 children every summer, but we still have the same goal of providing our campers with a safe and supportive environment where they can develop their full potential.
Since the very beginning, Christian spirit has been at the heart of Cheerio. We strive to help our campers grow in their relationship with God while they grow in their relationships with their peers, counselors and parents. We welcome children of all backgrounds to take part in the excitement and adventure Cheerio has to offer.
The name “Cheerio” pays homage to former High Point YMCA General Secretary Edgar Hartley, whose favorite expression when greeting his friends was “cheerio.” It was under Mr. Hartley’s leadership that the YMCA first began exploring options for a summer resident camp.